When it comes to trying to reach an optimal weight, everyone is quick to change their diet, daily physical activity and exercise routine. That is, of course, a great place to start. However, one aspect of health that is often forgotten in weight management plans is sleep. Yes, as simply as it sounds, sleep can play a significant role in weight loss and weight management.
How could sleep possibly contribute to reaching a healthy weight? Sleep duration affects weight in a few ways. If you aren’t getting enough sleep, the hormones that regulate hunger are impacted, causing increased appetite and carbohydrate cravings. Not getting enough sleep can also decrease metabolism function.
So now that you understand the importance of getting a solid night of sleep as a meaningful contributor to your weight loss goals, let’s talk about a few important tips to shape up your sleeping routine!
- Calm Down the smart way: avoid using screens an hour before bed, incorporate meditation or gentle yoga stretches, do deep breathing exercises
- Be perfectly predictable: aim to hit the hay at the same time each night to regulate your body’s internal clock
- Increase physical activity: chances are you have already done this when starting your weight loss journey but keep at it- it will promote restful sleep.
- Keep the naps for the cats: naps can hinder a solid night’s sleep
- Ace your Space: Make sure your bedroom is primed for sleep. Keep the room cool, dark, and noise free.
Follow these tips and you will be losing weight in your dreams…literally!