Tips For Staying Healthy On Summer Vacation
Do you plan on heading out of town on summer vacation? If your answer is ‘yes’, we decided to put together a few tips to help you stay on track with your healthy lifestyle, even while on vacation! Whether you’re headed on a quick get-away to the beach or mountains, flying across the country or headed overseas – vacation is a time to relax and enjoy yourself. But, there is nothing worse than coming home from a week long vacation feeling like you lost all the progress you have been working so hard to make.
Staying up late, waking up early, traveling, having a few more drinks than usual, and maybe indulging in unhealthy foods more often than usual. We agree that you should definitely be enjoying yourself, but we all know that sometimes our health can take a backseat while on vacation.
It is important to remember that often times our vacation habits will end up affecting our routine after vacation. A week of unhealthy eating and not working out can easily turn into a month once we return home. Here are a few simple tips to help you stay healthy, while still making the most out of your summer vacation and returning home feeling good and on track.
- Use the stairs. Always taking the stairs is a super easy way to fit a bit of activity into your fun filled days.
- Take the scenic route. If your destination is within a mile (or two) why not walk? Exploring a city or vacation spot by foot is a great way to fit in some exercise without it feeling like exercise. Not to mention, exploring somewhere on foot is a much different experience than by car or tour bus. You might even stumble across a great hidden restaurant or photo opportunity.
- Get in the water. Some people like to enjoy the beach or even a nice resort pool, but avoid jumping in the water. Swimming is a great form of cardio that you can easily work into your vacation.
- Drink plenty of water. Not only is water important for staying hydrated, it can also help stop you from overeating. If you want to eat foods that you usually wouldn’t eat, go for it! But if you’re feeling worried you’ll get too off track, drinking extra water is a great way to help! If you are unsure of exactly how much water you should be drinking, consider taking our Cellular Health and Hydration Test before you leave town!
- Eat protein and vegetables. There is definitely nothing wrong with indulging, but make sure to eat protein and vegetables as often as you can. Your body will thank you!
- Taking time to unwind, relax, and stress a little less is so important to your overall health.
Summer vacation is a great time to relax and take a break from your day-to-day life, not to mention a great way to take a break from this Arizona summer heat! We encourage you to enjoy yourself but to also incorporate these simple tips while you are away. Trust us, it will be worth it when you return home feeling rejuvenated, full of energy and ready to get back to your healthy routine.